Schumer and McConnell Get Ready to Upend Senate Precedent to Avoid Mayorkas Trial
GOP Rep Wants Kamala Harris to Invoke the 25th on Joe Biden
U.S. Army's Recruitment Problem Just Reached a Whole New Level
Another Member of Biden's Cabinet Is in Trouble With Lawmakers
The Meaningless Virtue Signal in Michigan's Democrat Primary
Is McConnell Getting Closer to Endorsing Trump?
Following Murder of GA Student, Here's What Trump Is Vowing to Do If...
VA Dems Erupt Over How Lt Governor Referred to Transgender State Senator
How This Parent Spent Tax Dollars Meant to Help Lift Her Family Out...
Let's Talk About Hillary Clinton's Conspiratorial Birth Control Tweet
Our DOD Debacle Has Gone on Long Enough
The Majority of Americans Support the Construction of a Border Wall
There's Another Recall Effort Underway for This Democrat Governor
Remember That Criminal Who Shot Three DC Cops Earlier This Month? We Have...
The US Has the Worst Rating Since 1995 on the Latest Index of...
Tipsheet

Pompeo Gives Stone-Faced Response to French Official Who Claims the World Is Now 'Less Safe'

AP Photo/Alex Brandon

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo stood strongly behind President Trump's decision to take out Iranian military leader Qassem Soleimani on Thursday. The airstrike "saved American lives," he explained on CNN Friday morning.

Advertisement

“He was actively plotting in the region to take actions – big action as he described it - that would have put dozens if not hundreds of American lives at risk," Pompeo said of Soleimani.

Pompeo couldn’t get into the details on air, but he assured Americans that based on an intelligence-based assessment, the Pentagon knew that the military leader was planning another imminent attack. Soleimani had previously been involved in the Beirut bombings and orchestrated failed terror plots in Washington, D.C.

“This is a man who put American lives at risk for an awfully long time," Pompeo said. "Last night was the time that we needed to strike back.”

Former Israeli Ambassador to U.S. Michael Oren agreed the Trump administration had no choice but to strike. He emphasized just how dangerous Soleimani was in an interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt Friday morning.

Advertisement

"Qassem Soleimani is responsible for not tens of thousands of deaths, maybe hundreds of thousands of deaths in our region," Oren said. "He’s responsible for the displacement of millions. He is responsible for repeated efforts to kill Israelis, kill Americans, kill Arabs, certainly, and no figure in the Middle East, I think, is more deserving of the fate in which he received."

Yet, there are other leaders who condemned Thursday's airstrike. John Berman asked the secretary to respond to the Iraqi officials who have condemned the U.S. attack, as well as a French official who alleged on CNN Friday morning that the world is “less safe” following the killing of Soleimani.

“Yeah, well, the French are just wrong about that,” Pompeo said stonefaced. “The world’s a much safer place today. And I can assure you that Americans in the region are much safer today after the demise of Qassem Soleimani.”

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement