Late Tuesday evening the family of Nick Sandmann, the Covington Catholic High School student who was falsely smeared by the media as a racist, filed a lawsuit against the Washington Post for $250 million. As Cortney reported yesterday:
Sandmann's attorneys Lin Wood and Todd McMurtry filed the complaint in U.S. District Court in Kentucky.
In the suit, the lawyers claim that the WaPo “wrongfully targeted and bullied” their client because he is white, Catholic, and, perhaps worst of all, a President Trump supporter.
The WaPo, they claim, engaged in "a modern-day form of McCarthyism" against Sandmann and in the process "ignored basic journalistic standards."
But do they have a case? According to Harvard Law professor Alan Dershowitz, it's a decent one.
"I think they have a reasonable case, I mean the world was guilty of libel," Dershowitz said in an interview with The Hill.TV. "These poor kids seemed to be doing exactly the right thing, and then suddenly because they are thought to be white, privileged kids, suddenly everyone's ganging up on them."
"I'd be interested to see how the case unfolds. I mean they're asking for a lot of money, I don't think that's going to be taken too seriously," he said. "But I do think that they have a significant case and it will be interesting to see how the Post defends against their reporting in the case," he continued.
Results of an independent investigation into the incident were released last week and showed the Covington Catholic students told the truth about the confrontation. Native American activist Nathan Phillips, who was immediately believed and amplified by Hollywood and the Democrat media complex, repeatedly lied to smear the students and then refused to participate in the investigation.
The results of an independent investigation into the January 18, 2019 Lincoln Memorial confrontation between leftist activist Nathan Phillips, black supremacist group the Black Hebrew Israelites and students from Covington Catholic High School were released Wednesday by Greater Cincinatti Investigation, Inc.
The report, which is four pages long, shows what everyone could have known initially if the time was taken to reach for context: Covington students didn't use a single racial slur against either Phillips or the Black Hebrew Israelites and they didn't instigate the confrontation. In fact, it was the opposite.
"We found no evidence of offensive or racist statements by students to Mr. Phillips or members of his group,” the report states. "We found no evidence that the students performed a 'Build the Wall' chant."
Meanwhile, President Trump has weighed in on the situation multiple times and did so again today.
“The Washington Post ignored basic journalistic standards because it wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump.” Covington student suing WAPO. Go get them Nick. Fake News!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 20, 2019