Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore threatened to sue The Washington Post Sunday evening following the Post’s report Thursday that detailed accusations against Moore of sexual misconduct and assault against minors, one of whom alleges the conduct occurred when she was just 14.
"The Washington Post published another attack on my character and reputation because they are desperate to stop my political campaign. These attacks said I was with a minor child and are false and untrue -- and for which they will be sued," Moore said during a campaign speech in Huntsville, Alabama.
Moore also asked why the accusations are coming out now, claiming “because there are groups that don't want me in the United States Senate," he cited the Democratic Party and establishment Republicans and emphasized, "we do not plan to let anybody deter us from this race."
Moore strongly denied the Post’s accusations Sunday but his response was less clear when he was asked about it by Fox’s Sean Hannity Friday.
When asked if he remembers dating teenage women when he was older than 30, Moore responded, "Not generally, no."
"I don't remember dating any girl without the permission of her mother," he also told Hannity Friday.
The Washington Post has not yet commented on Moore’s threat of a lawsuit.
Many prominent Republicans have withdrawn their support from Moore over the allegations, including Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) who had previously endorsed him.
Having read the detailed description of the incidents, as well as the response from Judge Moore and his campaign, I can no longer endorse his candidacy for the US Senate.— Mike Lee (@SenMikeLee) November 10, 2017