Despite this week being full of "scandal" and heavy press scrutiny for Herman Cain, he's leading in South Carolina with 33 percent, 10 points above Mitt Romney according to a new Rasmussen Report.
The survey was conducted on Tuesday night following two days of media coverage concerning allegations of sexual harassment against Cain.
In polling conducted before the latest allegations, Cain led in Iowa with Romney second, while Romney led in New Hampshire with Cain in second place.
The first Rasmussen Reports poll of South Carolina’s Likely Republican Primary Voters shows Cain with 33% support, Romney at 23% and Gingrich at 15%. Texas Governor Rick Perry earns nine percent (9%) of the likely primary vote, Texas Congressman Ron Paul five percent (5%) and Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann two percent (2%). Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum and former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman each pick up one percent (1%), as does “some other candidate.” Ten percent (10%) remain undecided.
Of those who are currently certain of their vote, Cain leads Romney by 12.
However, Rasmussen also points out that the vast majority of voters in South Carolina haven't made a firm decision about who they are voting for.
It’s important to note, however, that just 28% of South Carolina’s Likely Primary Voters are firmly committed to their current candidate. That leaves 72% who could still change their mind or have no preference at this time. South Carolina’s primary will be held 10 days after the New Hampshire Primary, and the results from both Iowa and New Hampshire could alter the course of the campaign before South Carolina votes.
|Katie Pavlich is the News Editor at Townhall.com. Follow her on Twitter @katiepavlich. She is also the author of Fast and Furious: Barack Obama's Bloodiest Scandal and the Shameless Cover-Up.
“ABSOLUTELY DEVASTATING! Intrepid investigative journalist Katie Pavlich rips the lid off Team Obama’s murderous corruption and anti-Second Amendment zealotry" says Michelle Malkin.
"Katie Pavlich draws back the curtain on a radical administration that put Mexican and American lives at risk for no discernible reason other than to advance an ideological agenda." - David Limbaugh
Buy Katie's book today and help us keep the pressure on Obama and his attorney general Eric Holder and expose the cover-up.
Author Photo credit: Jensen Sutta Photography