The finest American President of the 20th century was Ronald Reagan, but the greatest world leader during that time was Winston Churchill. Had the Brits not had a man of his caliber at the helm during World War 2, world history may have turned out very differently. Not only was Churchill a great leader, he was one of the single most quotable men who has ever walked God's green earth.
40) “It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.”
39) “I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
38) “To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day.”
37) “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
36) "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often."
35) “In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity.”
34) “Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.”
33) “This is no time for ease and comfort. It is time to dare and endure.”
32) “When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.”
31) “A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.”
30) "We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."
29) Lady Astor: “Winston, if I were your wife I’d put poison in your coffee.”
Winston Churchill: “Nancy, if I were your husband I’d drink it.”
28) “When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber.”
27) “If you have an important point to make, don’t try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time-a tremendous whack.”
26) “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.”
25) “Character may be manifested in the great moments, but it is made in the small ones.”
24) “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened.”
23) “If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favourable reference to the devil in the House of Commons.”
22) “To jaw-jaw is always better than to war-war.”
21) “Socialists think profits are a vice; I consider losses the real vice.”
20) “The Americans will always do the right thing… after they’ve exhausted all the alternatives.”
19) “An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile—hoping it will eat him last.”