Opie and Anthony apologize

Jonathan Garthwaite
|
Posted: May 11, 2007 12:21 PM

Neal Boortz took the shock jock duo to task last night -- urging they be fired -- for their crude sexual content on Wednesday's show regarding Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth.   They seemed to have survived so far but no doubt their apology on Friday's show was motivated by XM/Sirius executives who are trying to push their merger though and don't want increased scrutiny from Congress.

"We deplore the comments made on Wednesday's 'Opie & Anthony Show,'" XM spokesman Nathaniel Brown told The Associated Press on Friday. He would not say whether XM planned to take disciplinary action.

Opie and Anthony, whose full names are Anthony Cumia and Greg "Opie" Hughes, apologized to listeners on Friday's show.

"We apologize to the public officials for comments that we made on our XM show on May 9th. We take very seriously the responsibility that comes with our creative freedom and regret any offense that this segment has caused," they said.

The comment section is in overdrive with people on all sides of the argument making their case.  Some coherent and civilized -- others not so much.   Opie and Anthony fans, affectionatly called "Pests" by the hosts, have also flocked to the comment section to defend their heroes.