LJUBLJANA, Slovenia (AP) — Slovenian authorities say they will dismantle a World War II bomb that a man discovered last week while playing a treasure hunt game with his children.
Civil protection official Igor Boh says some 450 people will have to evacuate their homes in Vurberk on Tuesday while expert teams destroy the 250-kilogram (550-pound) American bomb.
Slovenian media say a resident found the bomb near Vurberk castle last week while exploring the area with a metal detector. He unearthed the bomb, drove it away and placed it in his yard before informing the police.
Boh says the bomb will be removed from the yard and lowered into a 7-meter (7.6-yard) trench for a controlled destruction.
Local media say the man who found the bomb could face public nuisance charges.