U.N. identifies 38 more mass graves in Congo's Kasai region

Reuters News
|
Posted: Jul 12, 2017 9:48 AM

KINSHASA (Reuters) - The United Nations said on Wednesday it had identified an additional 38 probable mass graves in Democratic Republic of Congo's central Kasai region, bringing the total to at least 80 since the outbreak of an insurrection last August.

A spokesman for the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo told reporters in the capital Kinshasa that the graves were identified during a joint mission with Congolese military investigators last week to western Kasai.

(Reporting By Aaron Ross; Editing by Tim Cocks)