COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — The lawyer for Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik says he has appealed to the European Court of Human Rights a ruling that his client's human rights have not been violated.
Breivik is serving a 21-year sentence for killing 77 people in a bomb-and-shooting rampage in 2011.
The lawyer, Oeystein Storrvik, told The Associated Press on Thursday that Breivik "still remains isolated with no contacts to others" and says his client's mental health was at stake.
On June 8, Norway's top court ruled that Norwegian authorities had not violated Breivik's human rights by isolating him in jail. He also had claimed that frequent strip searches and often being handcuffed during the early part of his incarceration violated his rights.
Breivik earlier this month legally changed his name to Fjotolf Hansen.