BERLIN (AP) — A 21-year-old German man arrested over the killing of two foreign women in the southern German city of Nuremberg has confessed to the crimes, police and prosecutors said Monday.
A 22-year-old woman with Romanian and Hungarian citizenship was killed in Nuremberg on May 24. The second victim, a 44-year-old Chinese woman, was killed in the city June 5.
Both women had recently moved to Nuremberg and worked as prostitutes. They were both discovered strangled, with their hands bound, by firefighters responding to apartment blazes.
The suspect was arrested Friday after police identified him through a cell phone number found on a victim's phone. DNA from the crime scene also corresponded to that of the suspect.
"He has confessed in the meantime and is now in investigative detention," Nuremberg's chief of police Johann Rast told reporters.
The man, identified only as Felix R. in keeping with German privacy rules, was known to police from a domestic violence incident a year ago, for which he had been sentenced to two weeks in a youth detention center.
Prosecutors Alfred Huber said the suspect claimed he had killed the women after an argument about money.