MILAN (AP) — The Latest on Europe's response to the inflow of asylum-seekers and migrants to the continent (all times local):
A suspected arson attack at a migrant camp on the eastern Greek island of Chios has burnt a tent but caused no injuries.
Thursday's incident follows overnight clashes at the camp in the main town, Chios, between migrants, police and local residents. Authorities detained 37 people after the violence.
Police say they are investigating claims the fire was started by a firebomb thrown from outside the camp, which houses 2,300.
Tensions are high at island camps, with migrants angry at delays in the processing of their asylum claims, and many face deportation back to Turkey.
On Tuesday, senior lawmakers from the Nazi-inspired, anti-migrant Golden Dawn party visited Chios calling for the removal of the migrants.
About 61,000 migrants are stranded in Greece after a series of Balkan border closures.
Police on the eastern Greek island of Chios have detained 37 people following overnight clashes between migrants, police and local residents.
Police said the trouble started Wednesday nights when migrants from a camp in the main town, Chios, allegedly broke into a liquor store. When officers arrived they were attacked with stones, which also damaged cars and shop fronts.
Authorities alleged that other migrants then broke into a fireworks store and launched fireworks at houses, whose residents gathered to confront them.
About 100 migrants erected barricades to stave off riot police, and the clashes lasted until early Thursday.
Police say nobody was injured, but several cars and shops were damaged.
About 2,300 people live in the Chios camp. Some 61,000 migrants are stranded in Greece after a series of Balkan border closures.
A migration organization says that about 340 migrants have died or gone missing in four Mediterranean Sea shipwrecks over the past two-and-a-half days.
Flavio Di Giacomo, Italy spokesman for the International Organization for Migration, says that brings to over 4,500 the number of migrants who have died or disappeared so far this year making the risky sea voyage, the deadliest year on record.
Di Giacomo said Thursday that the recent toll includes a rescue overnight by Doctors without Borders of 27 migrants, who reported that more than 130 people had been on board their rubber dinghy when it sank. Seven bodies were recovered.
Di Giacomo said the toll is increasing this year as smugglers are forcing departures despite rough winter seas.