CAIRO (AP) — Egypt's Foreign Ministry says the family of an Egyptian boy who crossed the Mediterranean Sea on his own to find medical help abroad for his sick brother, will leave for Italy within days to join him there.
The 13-year-old sneaked out of Egypt with the help of human traffickers earlier this month, carrying with him only medical records of his brother who has a rare blood disorder.
Thursday's remarks by ministry's spokesman, Ahmed Abu-Zeid, are Egypt's first confirmation of the teen's dangerous sea crossing.
Earlier, Abu-Zeid said the boy's family could not be located. He says authorities later learned from Italy that it's granting visas to the family members, including the sick boy who is to get treatment in Italy.
Thousands of illegal migrants have made the dangerous sea voyage.