SANAA, Yemen (AP) — In a story Aug. 12 about civilian deaths in Yemen's civil war The Associated Press erroneously reported the year that the Saudi-led coalition began fighting in Yemen. It began fighting the Shiite rebels and allied forces in March 2015, not March 2014.
A corrected version of the story is below:
More than 200 civilians killed in 4 months in Yemen war
The United Nations' human rights office says deaths among civilians due to Yemen's conflict have been "steadily mounting" with more than 200 people killed and more than 500 wounded in four months, including 50 in one week
By AHMED AL HAJ
SANAA, Yemen (AP) — The United Nations' human rights office said on Friday that deaths among civilians due to Yemen's conflict have been "steadily mounting" with more than 200 people killed and more than 500 wounded in four months, including 50 in one week.
The report comes as the capital Sanaa and its surroundings have come under heavy bombardment by the Saudi-led military coalition battling Shiite rebels and their allies. The airstrikes which picked-up this week marked the total collapse of an already fragile truce declared by the United Nations in April, to pave the way for peace talks in Kuwait. The talks ended this month without a breakthrough.
On Friday, the U.N.'s Humanitarian Coordinator in Yemen, Jamie McGoldrick, expressed alarm over the spike in violence
"The people of Yemen continue to bear the brunt of the suffering as a result of the inability of the parties to find a political solution to a conflict that has been raging for more than a year and a half," he said. "The return to full-scale hostilities will only drive the humanitarian needs further."
Since March 2015, the coalition has battled Shiite rebels, known as Houthis, and allied forces who occupy the capital. Despite its extensive air campaign, the coalition has so far failed to dislodge the Houthis from the northern region.
Meanwhile, the spokeswoman for the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights, Ravina Shamdasani, noted that July and August witnessed some of the war's worst violence against civilians, with eight children killed in a July 5 rocket attack in the eastern city of Marib. On Aug. 7, 16 civilians were killed in airstrikes east of Sanaa.
"Each side is responsible for the civilian casualties," Shamdasani said. In July, she noted that "the number of casualties attributable to airstrikes fell quite dramatically and it was the shelling, the rocket fire, the indiscriminate killings by the Houthis which rose considerably." She added that the airstrikes resumed last week and "airstrikes by their very nature tend to cause more damage and more casualties."
Associated Press writer Geir Moulson in Berlin contributed to this report.