BEIRUT (AP) — The United Nations Children's Fund said Wednesday it is "extremely" concerned for the safety and wellbeing of children caught up in the violence engulfing the northern Syrian city of Aleppo, including the rebel-held eastern neighborhoods under government siege.
The UNICEF statement came as the city witnessed intense fighting as insurgents tried for the third day to break the government siege imposed on opposition-held parts of the city since mid-July.
UNICEF's regional director Saad Houry called for unhindered humanitarian access to the divided city and for children to be protected. UNICEF said that children make up a third of the 300,000 residents trapped in rebel-held besieged neighborhoods.
In the western, government-controlled areas, UNICEF said 25,000 people have been displaced and are taking shelter from intense fighting in mosques, university campuses and public gardens.
Opposition monitoring groups reported intense airstrikes and shelling on Aleppo and its outskirts. State media said government forces repelled an attack by militants aiming to break the siege on several fronts.
A reporter for the Beirut-based Pan Arab Al-Mayadeen TV, Rida al-Basha, who is on the government side of Aleppo said the Syrian army regained control of two of the three villages it lost near Aleppo earlier this week.
Opposition activists in Aleppo said government forces struck several makeshift hospitals in the city, Syria's largest and once commercial center.
The New York-based Physicians for Human Rights said in a statement Wednesday that over the past week, Syrian government forces launched deadly airstrikes against six hospitals in and around Aleppo. It said the attacks were the worst week for attacks on medical facilities in that region since the Syrian conflict began in 2011.
The group said it verified each attack. It said all six facilities hit between July 23 and July 31 were major hospitals in Aleppo governorate, including a referral hospital just outside opposition-held eastern Aleppo and a pediatric clinic inside the city where four infants died after their oxygen supply was cut.
"Since June, we've seen increasing reports of attacks on civilians in Aleppo and strikes on the region's remaining medical infrastructure. Each of these assaults constitutes a war crime," said Widney Brown, PHR's director of programs. "Destroying hospitals is tantamount to signing thousands of death warrants for people now stranded in eastern Aleppo."
The Aleppo Media Center said among those killed on Wednesday in Aleppo was media activist Ahmad abu al-Baraa. It said he was killed while covering the offensive aiming to break the siege.
Near the capital, Damascus, government aircraft dropped barrel bombs on the rebel-held suburb of Daraya, opposition activists said. A video posted online showed a large, fuel-rich explosion.
The video appeared genuine and corresponded to other AP reporting of the events.
Also Wednesday, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that a British citizen fighting with the main Kurdish force battling the Islamic State group was killed last month in the former IS-stronghold of Manbij near the Aleppo.
The People's Protection Unit, or YPG, posted on its Facebook page a photograph of the British man and identified him as Dean Carl Evans saying he was killed on July 21.
Dozens of western fighters have joined the YPG to fight IS. Last month, a 24-year-old Colorado man who joined the YPG was killed in combat in Syria, his mother Susan Shirley said. She said the U.S. Consulate in Turkey called her to tell her that Levi Shirley was killed July 14.