Saudi prince to discuss Yemen controversy at UN

AP News
|
Posted: Jun 22, 2016 1:18 PM

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — Saudi Arabia's Deputy Crown Prince has arrived at the United Nations to discuss the controversy involving a Saudi-led coalition being placed on, and then removed from, a blacklist over the killing and injuring of children in Yemen.

Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman told reporters "I am not angry," on Wednesday before heading to a meeting with Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

The meeting, requested by the Saudis, comes two weeks after Ban said he temporarily removed the U.S.-backed coalition from the blacklist for violating child rights pending a joint review of cases because its supporters threatened to stop funding many U.N. programs. Ban said he stands by the report, which found that some 1,200 children were killed by coalition forces in Yemen last year.