ISTANBUL (AP) — An American national working at Incirlik Air Base in southern Turkey died Monday after falling from the roof of his apartment building as he attempted to enter using a 10th floor window, Turkey's state-run news agency reported.
Thaddeus Borowicz, 61, of Traverse City, Michigan, died after tying an electrical cable to a chimney to access his apartment using an open window, the Anadolu Agency reported. He had been locked out.
Vectrus, Borowicz's employer, identified him as the assistant fire chief at the base, which is used by U.S. fighter jets to conduct airstrikes against the Islamic State group in Syria.
It said Borowicz did not appear for a scheduled work shift and was found dead outside his apartment by co-workers. The company would not comment on the cause of death, saying Turkish law enforcements officials were continuing their investigation.
Vectrus said Borowicz had worked for 20 years as a civilian with the Incirlik Air Base Fire Department. He was a Vectrus employee since March 2015.
"Our thoughts and prayers go out to Assistant Chief Borowicz' family, his wife and children, and the Incirlik (U.S. Base) firefighters he served with, all of whom we know have broken hearts as they try and come to terms with his untimely passing," said Chuck Anderson, Vectrus senior vice president for infrastructure and logistics programs.
A funeral is being planned in Traverse City, according to Anadolu.