ISTANBUL (AP) — An American national working at Incirlik Air Base in southern Turkey has died after falling from the roof of his apartment building as he attempted to enter using a 10th floor window, Turkey's state-run news agency reports.
Anadolu Agency says Thaddeus Borowicz, 61, of Traverse City, Michigan, died Monday after tying an electrical cable to a chimney to access his apartment using an open window. He had been locked out.
The agency identified Borowicz as fire chief at the base, which is used by U.S. fighter jets to conduct airstrikes against the Islamic State group in Syria. There was no immediate comment from a company that contracted with Borowicz.
A funeral is being planned in Traverse City, according to Anadolu.