MOSCOW (AP) — The Latest on the European Championship soccer tournament being held in France (all times local):
Paris police prefect Michel Cadot says security measures at the Parc des Princes and the Stade de France have been adjusted following incidents during the French Cup final.
Paris police forces are in charge of security at both stadiums during the Euro 2016 Championship, which starts on Friday at the Stade de France with host France against Romania.
Cadot insisted on better fluidity at the stadiums' entrances after fans complained about severe overcrowding at security checkpoints at the Stade de France when Paris Saint-Germain beat Marseille 4-2 last month.
Despite a two-meter (6 ½ foot) high security wall surrounding the Stade de France and triple security checks, supporters also smuggled flares into the venue in the northern Paris suburb of Saint-Denis and ignited fires in the stands. Some supporters also tried to invade the pitch.
Cadot told a press conference Monday that "we need to improve."
He said security measures tested since the deadly Nov. 13 attacks in Paris have been adapted to fit the Euro.
He says "there will be a close security perimeter and an outer security cordon that will create a bubble even before the checkpoints." He says visual controls, bag and ticket checks and some pat-downs aim to stop someone from carrying in explosives.
Paris' police prefect says the level of security in the French capital has been further increased in order to protect potential soft targets during the European Championship soccer tournament.
Michel Cadot says an extra contingent of 1,200 soldiers will be deployed in public spaces, transportation and landmarks across Paris during the monthlong tournament.
Cadot said "we are focusing on fan zones and stadiums, but during that period there is a very strong need for the general surveillance of the Paris area."
Cadot added that a more than 13,000-strong security force will be patrolling around stadiums, fan zones and other public spaces, a figure "that will rise from mid-June."
The state of emergency is still in force in France after extremist attacks killed 130 people in Paris in November.
Ukraine's intelligence agency SBU says it has thwarted a plot to attack soccer's European Championships in France.
The SBU said in a statement on Monday that it had followed a French man since December and allowed him to purchase five machine guns, two rocket propelled grenades and other weapons before he was arrested on the Ukrainian-Polish border last month.
The SBU didn't identify the man but said he was driven by ultra-nationalist views and planned 15 attacks on bridges, railways and other pieces of infrastructure for Euro 2016 that will be held in France.