KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — In a story April 16 about the U.N. mission in Congo vowing action against Tanzanian peacekeepers accused of sexual abuses, The Associated Press incorrectly quoted mission head Maman Sidikou as saying 18 cases of rape have been reported involving the Tanzanians. Sidikou said 18 cases of sexual abuse have been reported, not rape.
A corrected version of the story is below:
UN Congo head vows action against accused Tanzanians
Head of the UN mission in Congo vows action against Tanzanian peacekeepers accused of sexual abuses
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The head of the United Nations mission in Congo has vowed action against Tanzanian peacekeepers accused of sexual abuses in Congo.
Maman Sidikou said Saturday that sanctions may be imposed after investigations by the U.N. and Tanzanian government.
Sidikou said 18 cases of sexual abuse have been reported involving Tanzanians. He said 11 cases are from Tanzania's previous contingent and seven are with the current deployment in the eastern village of Mavivi.
Last week the U.N. said six of 11 females in Congo allegedly impregnated by Tanzanian peacekeepers are minors and seven had given birth.
Sidikou said the victims will receive assistance.
The U.N. has been in the spotlight over allegations of abuses by its peacekeepers, especially those based in Central African Republic and Congo.