The Latest: TV station finds footage of Paris attack suspect

AP News
|
Posted: Apr 13, 2016 11:08 AM

BRUSSELS (AP) — The Latest on the investigations into last month's attacks in Brussels (all times local):

5:05 p.m.

A Brussels television network has uncovered previously unknown footage of Salah Abdeslam, the fugitive from the Nov. 13 Paris attacks whose capture appears to have precipitated the March 22 bombing in Brussels.

In the August 2014 Tvbrussel footage revealed Wednesday, Abdeslam is seen strolling casually through the Molenbeek market, talking to someone whose face is unseen. Abdeslam, like many of the men in the Islamic State cell blamed for the pair of deadly attacks, is a native of the Brussels neighborhood.

Filip De Rycke, the station's news director, said the images were found by happenstance when an editor was looking for archive footage of Molenbeek. The face of Abdeslam's companion was hidden "in the interest of the investigation," he said, according to the network's website.

___

1:45 p.m.

Islamic State's online magazine, Dabiq, is praising the attackers who killed 32 in Brussels last month, and hailing two brothers who were suicide bombers in the attack as key actors in November's bloodbath in Paris as well.

The extremist Muslim group has claimed responsibility for both acts of carnage targeting Western European capitals.

"All preparations for the raids in Paris and Brussels started" with Ibrahim El Bakraoui, 30, and his brother Khalid, 27, Dabiq said. "These two brothers gathered the weapons and the explosives."

It is "firstly due" to the El Bakraouis that the Nov. 13 attacks that killed 130 victims in the French capital occurred, Dabiq said. Subsequently, it said, Khalid El Bakraoui had a dream "which motivated him to carry out another istishhadi (martyrdom) operation."

The younger El Bakraoui blew himself up in a rush-hour Brussels subway train on March 22, killing 16 victims. That same morning, his older brother was one of two suicide bombers who detonated explosives-laden suitcases at Brussels Airport, killing another 16.

Dabiq also confirmed Belgian and French police findings that Najim Laachraoui, the second Brussels Airport suicide bomber, manufactured the explosives used in both the Paris and Brussels attacks.

___

10:10 a.m.

Belgian prosecutors say three people detained in the investigation into the attacks that killed 130 victims in Paris in November have been freed after extensive interrogation.

None of the three was charged, the Belgian Federal Prosecutor's Office said Wednesday in a statement.

The three were taken into custody during a police search in the Brussels district of Uccle on Tuesday.

Belgian authorities have not said what they were looking for, or what they may have found.

Brussels was home to many of the attackers who struck the French capital Nov. 13 with suicide bombings and volleys of assault weapons fire. According to Belgian and French investigators, the same cell was behind the suicide bombings that killed 32 victims at Brussels Airport and in the Brussels subway on March 22.