The Latest: Erdogan calls for wider definition of terrorist

AP News
Posted: Mar 14, 2016 3:36 PM
The Latest: Erdogan calls for wider definition of terrorist

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — The Latest on the aftermath of the suicide bombing in Ankara (all times local):

9:30 p.m.

Turkey's president is calling for his country to "redefine" terror and terrorists so that their legal scope can expand to anyone supporting terror — including legislators, academics, journalists or activists.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan's call on Monday followed a suicide car bomb attack in the capital Ankara that killed 37 people. His statement appeared to be directed at a pro-Kurdish political party that the Turkish leader accuses of being the political arm of the Kurdish rebels; opposition journalists he accuses of supporting his foes; and a group of academics who are facing prosecution for calling on the government to end conflict against the PKK.

Erdogan said: "Either they are on our side, or on the side of the terrorists."

Erdogan added there was no difference between "a terrorist holding a gun or a bomb and those who use their position and pen to serve the aims of the terrorist."


6:30 p.m.

Turkey's prime minister says authorities have detained 11 people in connection with the bombing in Ankara that killed 37 people.

Ahmet Davutoglu told reporters Monday that there are strong indications that the attack was carried out by Kurdish rebels.

He said DNA tests to identify the two possible bombers were continuing. The Turkish leader again vowed that Turkey would continue its fight against the rebels until they are wiped out.


9:30 a.m.

Turkey's health minister says three more people have died from injuries suffered in a suicide car-bomb attack in the capital, raising the death toll to 37.

A senior government official said authorities believe Sunday's attack was carried out by two bombers — one of them a woman — and was the work of Kurdish militants.

The state-run Anadolu Agency says police detained dozens of suspected militants in southern Adana city on Monday.

It was the second deadly attack blamed on Kurdish militants in the capital in the past month and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed to bring "terrorism to its knees."

The blast came as Turkey's security forces were set to launch large-scale operations against militants in two mainly Kurdish towns after authorities imposed curfews, prompting some residents to flee.