Actress' email shows she wanted sex after alleged assault

AP News
|
Posted: Feb 05, 2016 2:36 PM
Actress' email shows she wanted sex after alleged assault

TORONTO (AP) — A television actress acknowledged Friday that she told a former Canadian Broadcast Corp. radio host that she wanted to have sex with him a day after he allegedly choked and slapped her.

Lucy DeCoutere, a star of the TV and film series "Trailer Park Boys," used racy language in her email to Jian Ghomeshi, the former host of "Q," a popular radio show on culture.

She said he "kicked" her behind the previous night and that it made her want to have sex with him "tonight."

In a handwritten letter days later she writes: "I love your hands."

During cross examination Ghomeshi's lawyer, Marie Henein, produced a series of fawning emails and the handwritten letter. Henein also showed her a photo the actress sent to Ghomeshi showing her simulating fellatio on a beer bottle.

"Women can be assaulted and still having positive feelings for them afterward," DeCoutere testified.

DeCoutere, the first woman to make her name public, acknowledged she didn't tell police, the prosecutors or the media about the emails or letter.

Ghomeshi, 48, has pleaded not guilty to four counts of sexual assault and one count of choking, based on alleged incidents involving three women including DeCoutere.

Police launched an investigation in 2014 after nine women contacted various media sources to allege that Ghomeshi had assaulted them. The allegations rocked Canada's vaunted public broadcaster and sparked a nationwide conversation about consent and sexual harassment.

Ghomeshi, who first gained fame as a member of the 1990s satirical pop band Moxy Fruvous, previously defended himself in a 1,500-word statement on Facebook, saying women consented to having "rough sex" and that he was the victim of a disgruntled ex-girlfriend. The CBC fired him.

The first woman to testify this week acknowledged Tuesday that she emailed Ghomeshi a bikini-clad picture of herself a year after he allegedly sexually assaulted her, pulling her hair and punching her in the head. The woman's name is subject to a publication ban.

The trial was adjourned until Monday after the prosecutor said he had to provide a new disclosure to the defense about the third woman complainant.