VALLETTA, Malta (AP) — The Maltese government says the manager of a Maltese-owned hospital operating in Libya has been abducted in Tripoli.
Officials said Tuesday that Pierre Baldacchino, 36, manager of the St. James Hospital in Tripoli, was taken Monday as he returned home around 5 p.m.
The government said it is "working with Libyan authorities" to secure his release, and reiterated its advice for Maltese citizens not to travel to Libya. The government declined to comment on the kidnappers.
He is the third Maltese to be abducted in Libya in the last 18 months. Both of the previous victims also had been working in Libya; one was released after 11 days in captivity and the other after 47 days.