Germany: little progress in 1980 Oktoberfest attack probe

AP News
|
Posted: Dec 11, 2015 6:28 AM

BERLIN (AP) — German prosecutors are indicating that a new investigation into a deadly far-right attack 35 years ago on Munich's Oktoberfest beer festival has made little progress, with testimony from a new witness failing so far to stand up.

Federal prosecutors pledged to pursue all leads anew a year ago after the witness surfaced.

Thirteen people were killed and more than 200 wounded in the bomb explosion Sept. 26, 1980. The dead included the attacker, student Gundolf Koehler, a supporter of a banned far-right group.

Investigations were closed in 1982 but prosecutors said last year the new witness's testimony may point to previously unknown co-conspirators. However, they said Friday her evidence wasn't substantiated by questioning of witnesses and a search. Other questioning hasn't yet produced a "coherent overall picture."

The investigation continues.