VALLETTA, Malta (AP) — Malta's foreign ministry says a Maltese businessman who was kidnapped in Libya six weeks earlier has been freed by his captors.
The man was identified as Noel Sciberras, the general manager of a Maltese-owned company which runs the only public car park in Tripoli, Libya.
The ministry said Thursday that Sciberras, who was abducted by a gang in Tajoura, was freed by his Libyan captors a day earlier. It didn't give details about the captor, nor say if a demand for $5 million (5.7 million euros) had been met.
A ministry statement thanked a Maltese diplomat who used to work in Libya and who negotiated the release of another Maltese man who was kidnapped last year. The statement also thanked the Maltese secret service for their assistance.