Libyan official: Libya to allow Lockerbie pair to be quizzed

AP News
|
Posted: Oct 21, 2015 8:24 AM

LONDON (AP) — A Libyan official has told BBC that Libyan authorities will permit questioning of two suspects in the 1988 bombing of Pan Am flight 103.

National Salvation government official Jamal Zubair said Wednesday that investigators can come to Libya to question the suspects, who are believed to be in prison in Libya on unrelated charges.

The National Salvation government, based in Tripoli, is not internationally recognized.

Scottish prosecutors said last week there are two new suspects in the bombing that killed 270 people.

Scottish and U.S. authorities have not named the two suspects, but the BBC said officials in Tripoli had identified them as Mohammed Abouajela Masud and Abdullah al-Senoussi.

British authorities investigating the bombing have previously sought to question al-Senoussi, who was the intelligence chief under the deposed Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi's.

A lawyer for al-Senoussi Wednesday declined to provide comment. Masud could not be reached for comment.

Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, the only man convicted of the bombing, died in 2012 of cancer.