Official: 7 die in South Sudan cholera outbreak

AP News
|
Posted: Jun 22, 2015 11:03 AM

JUBA, South Sudan (AP) — The head of the isolation ward at South Sudan's main public hospital says cholera has killed seven people in the capital Juba.

Dr. Thomas Wel Maker of Juba Teaching Hospital told reporters Monday that at least 37 cases of cholera have been confirmed but the Health Ministry has not yet declared an official outbreak.

Dr. John Rumuru, director general of preventive health at the ministry, told a meeting of the country's cholera taskforce that "probably we are dealing with cholera outbreak" but it wasn't up to him to make the declaration.

According to World Health Organization guidelines, a cholera outbreak should be declared when there are 10-20 cases.

An outbreak last year infected more than 6,000 people and killed 167.