MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican health authorities say bacterial infections, and not contaminated vaccines, were responsible for the deaths of two infants and the sickening of 31 other babies earlier this month in the southern state of Chiapas.
The Mexican Institute for Social Security said Friday that investigators identified Staphylococcus hominis. It said early suspicions that the illnesses stemmed from a contaminated Hepatitis B vaccine were incorrect.
Investigators found the bacterial contamination occurred when the vaccine was given to the children in the Indian village of La Pimienta in the township of Simojovel. There were no other adverse reactions in any of the more than 100,000 doses of the same vaccine given in other parts of Mexico since October.
Twenty-seven children have been treated and released and two remain hospitalized in stable condition.