PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) — A South African judge on Friday postponed the sentencing hearing of former doubles tennis champion Bob Hewitt, who was convicted of rape and sexual assault.
Last month, Judge Bert Bam found the 75-year-old Hewitt guilty of the offenses committed in the 1980s and 1990s, when Hewitt's three accusers were minors. Hewitt's attorney Terry Price said he would appeal.
Wearing a grey suit, Hewitt leaned forward and faced the floor as photographers crowded around him. His wife, Delaille, sat at the back of the courtroom with a uniformed police officer.
Price asked the court for the delay until an expert witness could compile a report. The criminologist must interview Hewitt and his accusers before he testifies, Price told the court.
The court would not order the victims to cooperate with the criminologist, Bam said. Two of Hewitt's accusers were in court wearing T-shirts with the words, "Women and Men Against Child Abuse."
The sentencing hearing was scheduled for May 18.