BERLIN (AP) — Two men who have been under investigation since last year were arrested in Germany Thursday on suspicion of membership in the Islamic State group, prosecutors said.
The two, identified only as 26-year-old Mustafa C. and 27-year-old Sebastian B. in accordance with German privacy laws, were arrested Thursday morning in raids in the western state of North-Rhine Westphalia, federal prosecutors said.
The two Germans are accused of traveling to Syria through Turkey in March and August 2013 where they joined a group known as the Muhajireen Brigade. By the end of 2013, they were suspected of joining IS, undergoing training and providing logistical support during battles.
Sebastian B. returned to Germany in November 2013, while Mustafa C. returned in September 2014. Prosecutors said there is no evidence they were planning attacks.
Separately, three apartments in the central city of Kassel were searched early Thursday in an investigation of three German nationals, aged between 19 and 23. The three are suspected of providing logistical support for the war in Syria or planning to travel to Syria themselves to participate in fighting there, regional prosecutors said.
Evidence was seized but there are no current plans to seek arrest warrants for the men, they said.