SAO PAULO (AP) — Pele has been taken off intensive care as his condition continues to improve, a Brazilian hospital said on Tuesday.
The 74-year-old Pele remains in the same room where he was transferred to five days ago to undergo kidney support treatment, but now was under "semi-intensive" care, the Albert Einstein Hospital said in a statement.
"Pele is getting better," he was "lucid, eating well" and has been "walking around" the room, the hospital added.
He remains off the hemodialysis treatment that was needed to support his only kidney, although doctors said another evaluation will be done on Wednesday.
The hospital said Pele was in "good condition" in terms of blood pressure and the respiratory system, and continues to receive antibiotics intravenously.
The three-time World Cup champion was hospitalized on Nov. 24 after being diagnosed with a urinary tract infection that stemmed from a Nov. 13 surgery to remove kidney stones. Recent tests have shown no signs of the infection.
The hospital did not say when Pele could leave the hospital, although his son, former player Edinho, said recently it could happen by the end of the week.
Pele said last week he was "looking forward" to spending the holidays with his family.
Pele has had only one kidney since his playing days, when one was removed after complications from a rib broken while playing.
Pele has enjoyed good health in recent years despite a hip replacement and detached retina.
Follow Tales Azzoni on Twitter at http://twitter.com/tazzoni