Cruise ship passenger lost overboard off Sydney

AP News
|
Posted: Nov 24, 2014 10:45 PM

SYDNEY (AP) — An air and sea search for an 84-year-old passenger lost overboard from a cruise ship east of Sydney was called off Tuesday after authorities calculated that he could not have survived.

Search manager Australian Maritime Safety Authority, or AMSA, said in a statement that a security camera showed the man had dropped 25 meters (82 feet) into the ocean from the Sun Princess on Monday evening about 280 kilometers (175 miles) east of Sydney.

AMSA said a search by the cruise ship and a Dornier search and rescue aircraft ended without finding any trace of the passenger.

The Sun Princess had been due to reach Sydney later Tuesday to end a 13-day cruise to New Zealand.

Searchers had held grave fears for the passenger's welfare because of heavy swells at 2 to 3 meters (7 to 10 feet) and winds blowing at 29 mph (46 kph).

The Sun Princess offers cruises along the Australian coast and South Pacific.