Hunt for missing Malaysia plane to resume

AP News
|
Posted: Sep 18, 2014 10:35 PM

SYDNEY (AP) — Crews will resume the hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 at the end of the month, and will begin the search in an area farther south than initially planned.

Australian Transport Safety Bureau Chief Commissioner Martin Dolan said on Friday that the first of three ships planning to scour the Indian Ocean for the plane should begin searching Sept. 30. The ship, Malaysia's GO Phoenix, had been due to start the search next week, but needed some additional work in Jakarta.

Officials have been refining their analysis of satellite data from the plane to figure out where it crashed. Dolan says the most recent analysis suggests the aircraft may have entered the water in an area south of what was initially considered the highest priority search zone.