7 killed while on Guinea Ebola education campaign

AP News
|
Posted: Sep 18, 2014 5:35 PM

CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) — The prime minister of Guinea says seven bodies have been found in rural Guinea after a group of local residents attacked Guinean health workers carrying out Ebola awareness efforts in a rural area.

In an announcement made on state television late Wednesday, Mohamed Saïd Fofana said authorities had located the bodies a day after the group was abducted by assailants armed with rocks and knives.

Among the dead were three Guinean radio journalists who had been covering the education efforts.

An Ebola epidemic in West Africa first emerged in Guinea earlier this year.

Many residents of rural villages have reacted with fear and panic when outsiders have come to conduct awareness campaigns and have even attacked health clinics.