SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) — Authorities in Bosnia have banned civilians from entering two villages they marked as potential epidemic flashpoints after record floods devastated the Balkan region last week.
Army troops and civil protection teams are also rushing to remove thousands of animal carcasses from flood-affected areas in the next two days. Authorities said Friday the officials are the only ones allowed to enter the northeastern villages Velino Selo and Jelaz.
Meanwhile, local and international experts have started estimating the damage and should produce a report by June 4. Officials have previously said the recovery may cost billions.
At least 50 people died and hundreds and thousands were forced out of their homes in the floods, which hit large parts of Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia last week.