MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) — A Bahraini defense lawyer says a criminal court in the Gulf kingdom has convicted and sentenced five people to five years in prison each on terrorism charges over what authorities say was an attempt to bomb last year's Formula One race.
Attorney Entesar al-Asfoor says female activists Nafisa al-Asfoor and Rayhana al-Musawi were convicted on Tuesday, along with three male accomplices in connection with the case. No explosives were detonated at the 2013 race.
The Bahrain Grand Prix is the island nation's premier international event.
The country, host to the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet, has faced more than three years of unrest following an uprising dominated by the Shiite majority calling for greater rights and opportunities from the country's Sunni rulers. Some radical protesters have used bombs against security forces.