HAGATNA, Guam (AP) — The Guam Fire Department say a September explosion at a resort that injured two people and led to the evacuation of hundreds of guests was an accident caused by leaking underground gas pipes.
Two people were treated at a hospital for minor injuries after the Sept. 26 blast at Hilton Guam Resort & Spa in the popular tourist area of Tumon Bay. About 650 guests were evacuated.
Fire Marshal Joey Manibusan says the pipes were used to supply liquefied propane gas to tiki torches in the hotel's Tree Bar and tropical lagoon area. Pacific Daily News reports (http://ow.ly/qtOZn) the gas came into contact with electricity, which caused a combustion explosion.
Manibusan says the gas lines were extremely close to the pump room and many pipes were rusty and corroded.
Information from: Pacific Daily News: http://www.guampdn.com