SANAA, Yemen (AP) — A Yemeni military official says coordinated attacks by al-Qaida militants in a southern province have killed at least 38 soldiers and wounded dozens.
Maj. Raed Mohammed Nasser says the attacks took place at dawn Friday in Shabwa province. He says the militants, taking advantage of heavy fog, surprised the troops in barracks in bases in the Maysaa and Kamp areas.
Nasser says heavy clashes are still underway near a third military encampment, in the al-Ain area, where militants detonated a car bomb outside the barracks.
Nasser told The Associated Press that eight militants have also died in the fighting so far.
Yemeni authorities are leading a war against Al-Qaida's local branch, considered by Washington as one of the world's most dangerous terror groups.