Correction: Philippines-Fatal Fire story

AP News
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 10:31 PM
Correction: Philippines-Fatal Fire story

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — In a story Jan. 12 about a hotel fire that killed seven people in Olongapo, Philippines, The Associated Press misspelled a victim's surname based on incorrect information provided by city police. He was James Brighenti from Kodiak, Alaska, not James Brigati.

A corrected version of the story is below:

3 US men, SKorean among 7 dead in Philippine fire

3 Americans, South Korean among 7 people killed in hotel fire in Philippine resort city

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — A fire swept through a hotel in a Philippine resort city early Friday, killing seven people, including three Americans, three Filipinos and a South Korean, authorities said.

The three American men and the South Korean man were found dead in separate rooms in the Dryden Hotel, a small two-story tourist hotel in Olongapo city, a former U.S. naval base west of the capital, Manila, said police Senior Inspector Gil Arizo Domingo. The bodies of three Filipino women were found in separate parts of the hotel, he said.

Adjacent bars and another hotel were not affected by the three-hour blaze, which started at around 3 a.m., Domingo said.

The building's facade and ground floor are made of concrete, but the second floor is largely wooden. The cause of the fire was under investigation.

Caravan Forced Back at Mexican Border
Cortney O'Brien

One of the Americans was identified as James Brighenti of Kodiak, Alaska. The two others were identified as Patrick Burt and Joseph Valuso, whose hometowns were not immediately available. The South Korean man was identified as Kyung Ook-kim of Suwan City.

The victims' ages were not immediately available.

Olongapo, which is about 80 kilometers (50 miles) west of Manila, is a popular beach destination, especially among American visitors, many of whom are former service members who were deployed there when the coastal city hosted one of the largest U.S. bases overseas. The base closed two decades ago.