UNITED NATIONS (AP) — With a cease-fire announced in the Gaza crisis, the U.N. Security Council suspended a formal open debate that had been scheduled for Wednesday afternoon.
The council has been silent since Israel launched air raids on Hamas in Gaza in response to months of Hamas rocket fire into Israel.
Arab nations had called for an open debate if a cease-fire was not arranged.
Instead, the council held closed consultations, then heard a report by videoconference from U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, who since Monday has been talking with Middle East leaders.
Ban welcomed the cease-fire and said it was urgent that humanitarian aid be delivered to Gaza.
Britain's U.N. Mission said in a tweet that the council is working out a statement welcoming the cease-fire and commenting on how the process can be consolidated.