BRISBANE, Australia (AP) — An Australian prosecutor has ordered new trials for an American surgeon accused of the manslaughter of three patients.
Last week, Australia's highest court threw out a conviction against Jayant Patel and said he should be tried again on three counts of manslaughter and one count of grievous bodily harm related to his work as chief surgeon at a Queensland state hospital between 2003 and 2005.
Queensland Director of Public Prosecutions Tony Moynihan said Thursday that he would try Patel separately on each of the four charges. The four trials will likely take years to complete.
Patel was sentenced to seven years in prison in 2010 after being convicted of the charges. He was released on bail Friday after the High Court ruled there had been a miscarriage of justice.