Red Cross intensifies outreach after Libya attacks

AP News
|
Posted: Aug 15, 2012 4:24 PM
Red Cross intensifies outreach after Libya attacks

TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — The International Committee of the Red Cross says it is reaching out to Libyans to counter suspicions about the relief agency's work in eastern and central Libya, following attacks there.

The ICRC suspended its activities in the eastern city of Benghazi and the central city of Misrata earlier this month after assailants launched five attacks in less than three months on the agency's offices and residence.

In a statement on the ICRC website Wednesday, the incoming head of delegation to Libya, Ishfaq Muhamad Khan, says they were targeted in part because of misunderstandings and mistrust.

The agency has been eyed with suspicion by some and accused of distributing Bibles and proselytizing.

Khan says the agency is working on communicating with Libyans who may have misperceptions about ICRC's relief work.