Breakaway rebels attack Filipino troops, 3 killed

AP News
|
Posted: Aug 06, 2012 12:48 AM
Breakaway rebels attack Filipino troops, 3 killed

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Philippine officials say scores of gunmen from a breakaway Muslim rebel group attacked army outposts with gunfire and grenades in two southern provinces, sparking clashes that killed at least 3 people and wounded eight others.

Maguindanao Gov. Esmael Mangudadatu says gunmen from the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Movement launched simultaneous attacks on army detachments in four towns in his province late Sunday and sporadic clashes were continuing Monday. The gunmen also attacked two army outposts in nearby North Cotabato province.

Mangudadatu says two attackers were killed overnight in Maguindanao, along with a villager on a highway, which was closed as the fighting raged.

The rebel group broke off last year from the main Moro Islamic Liberation Front because it opposed the Moro guerrilla front's protracted peace talks with the government.