KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The Congolese government says it won't negotiate with a new rebel movement that is sparking violence in the country's east.
However, government spokesman Lambert Mende said late Monday that dialogue is possible with neighboring Rwanda, which Congo blames for helping the rebels.
A report by U.N. experts also has accused Rwanda of involvement, which the Rwandan government vigorously denies.
The governor of North Kivu province has said that the Congolese government should re-examine how a 2009 agreement that integrated rebels into the national army is being carried out.
The M23 fighters launched their rebellion earlier this year after accusing the government of failing to hold up their end of that peace deal.