London's Metropolitan Police said Thursday the force is confident its systems remain secure, despite an investigation into whether conversations on its Anti-Terrorist Hotline had been recorded by users.
"We are aware of an issue whereby hoaxers have made calls to the Anti-Terrorist Hotline and have made recordings of their conversations with Anti-Terrorist Hotline staff," the force said in a statement. "In addition, recordings have been made of conversations between Metropolitan Police Service Anti-Terrorist Hotline staff."
It added that the Anti-Terrorist Hotline remains operational and that an investigation into the matter is being led by the e-Crime Unit.
The statement came after a hacktivist group posted what appeared to be recordings on YouTube and claimed responsibility on Twitter for "terrorizing" the Anti-Terrorist unit.
Ailsa Beaton, director of information for Scotland Yard, later said the force believes its communication systems have not been breached.
"We are satisfied that any recording would have been made via the receiving handset only and not from an attack on internal systems," she said in a statement.
The hotline is provided for the public to report any suspicions of terrorist activity.