Colombia's main rebel group said Wednesday it is delaying its previously announced release of six security force members it has held for more than a decade.
The leftist Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC blamed what it called the "militarization" of the area where it said release was planned. It did not specify the location.
The announcement, in a statement on the FARC's website, drew a sharp rebuke a few hours later from President Juan Manuel Santos:
"My God, no more tricks and deception," he tweeted. "We don't even know where the hostages are. They haven't provided the coordinates. Free them now!"
The International Red Cross has managed past releases, borrowing helicopters from Brazil and Venezuela and working with go-between Piedad Cordoba, a former senator.
A date had not been set for the releases, which the FARC first announced Dec. 27. It is seeking to reopen peace talks; the last collapsed in 2002.
Santos has said that says all captive security force members must be released before the government addresses the FARC's peace overtures.
The rebels hold at least 12 security force members, all of them captured in the late 1990s.
Latin America's last major rebel movement, the FARC was founded in 1964. It has been releasing captives piecemeal since early 2008.
A number of captives have been rescued in military missions but four were killed in November by guerrillas when, the government says, soldiers stumbled upon the rebel unit holding them.
Relatives and activists had expected the group of six to be freed in late February or March.