Kuwait's interior ministry says 14 candidates _ including a woman _ have been banned from running in highly anticipated parliamentary elections scheduled for next month.
A statement posted on the ministry's official website Wednesday says 14 candidates have been banned after a vetting committee disqualified them. It does not give a reason for the decision, but says the candidates can challenge it in courts.
Kuwait's ruler dissolved the parliament last month during a political showdown related to allegations of high-level corruption.
The balloting is set for Feb. 2.
Kuwait's parliament has the most powers of any elected body in the Gulf, though the ruling Al Sabah family has the final word over all key decisions in the OPEC member nation.