Trial starts in alleged Haiti prison massacre

AP News
|
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 4:45 PM
Trial starts in alleged Haiti prison massacre

A trial has started for police officers accused of killing at least 11 inmates in a prison in southwestern Haiti following last year's deadly earthquake.

Judge Valvale Ezequiel says the trial of 13 officers will include testimony from dozens of witnesses in the coastal town of Les Cayes.

The officers face charges that include murder and attempted murder for firing on prisoners during a riot in the overcrowded prison a week after the devastating January 2010 earthquake. Prisoners said they were afraid the prison walls would crumble during the aftershocks.

The officers allegedly stormed the prison to prevent a mass escape like the one that occurred in the country's main penitentiary in the capital.

The trial started Tuesday.