Iranian official denies contact with U.S. over alleged plot

Reuters News
|
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 10:04 AM
Iranian official denies contact with U.S. over alleged plot

TEHRAN (Reuters) - An official at Iran's United Nations mission denied on Friday that Tehran had been in direct contact with the United States over an allegation it was behind a plot to kill the Saudi ambassador on U.S. soil, the semi-official Mehr news agency reported.

"There has been no direct contact between the two countries," Alireza Miryousefi, official in charge of the media at Iran's U.N. mission, told Mehr news agency.

U.S. State Department said on Thursday that it had been in direct contact with Iran over the allegations, which Tehran has denied.

(Writing by Zahra Hosseinian)