A Ugandan judge has dropped charges against five people including a Kenyan human rights activist in connection with twin suicide bombings last year that killed 76 people.
Judge Owiny Dollo said Monday there was no case against Al-Amin Kimathi of the Kenya-based Muslim Human Rights Forum. Kimathi has been in prison in Uganda for more than a year. Charges of murder, attempted murder and terrorism against another Kenyan, a Somali and two Ugandans were also dropped.
Fourteen suspects remain on trial.
Al-Qaida-linked Somali militant group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the July 11 bombings in Uganda's capital that killed people who gathered to watch the World Cup final. They said the bombings were in retaliation for Uganda's participation in the African Union's peacekeeping mission in Somalia.